Chili con Carne
From bbh wikiJump to navigationJump to search
1 Tbsp peanut/corn/vegetable oil 1 1/2 C chopped onion (1 onion) 1 C green or red pepper (1 pepper) 1 1/4 lbs ground beef or turkey 1-2 Tbsp minced garlic 3 Tbsp chili powder* 1 tsp ground cumin 1 tsp crumbled dried oregano 1 bay leaf 1/2 tsp black pepper 4 cups canned unsalted tomatoes* 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes and 14 oz. can of halved tomatoes 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar 1/4 tsp dried crushed hot pepper flakes (optional) Saltines*, bread, or other dipping accompaniments
*For low salt variation, go light on the added salt, and use no salt added canned tomatoes and no salt chili powder
- Heat oil in a deep skillet (or pot) and add the onion and green pepper.
- Cook until the onion is wilted.
- Add the meat. Stir and chop lumps.
- Sprinkle garlic, chili powder, cumin, and oregano on top of the meat.
- Stir to blend.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. (bay leaf, black pepper, tomatoes, vinegar, and optional hot pepper flakes)
- Bring to a boil and let simmer uncovered for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with saltine crackers.